Every Father’s Day, it’s good to take the time to pick out the perfect wishlist of gifts for dad. I’m definitely what you would call a Daddy’s Girl. He hung the moon. My father and I have exactly the same personality type, and I can relate to him more than anyone else. He’s a very interesting man who has traveled all over the world. The things he must have seen! Since he traveled so much, he wasn’t around very often when my sister Michele and I were young girls, but maybe that is a good thing. My father may not have been so ready for young children when we arrived. After making it through my twenties without any of my own children, I have a lot of compassion for how challenging it must have been for my young parents to raise us. There’s no manual. As an adult, I’ve loved developing a closer relationship with my father though, especially all of the guidance he gave me as I grew professionally. It turns out there are a few manuals for that, like reading Lincoln on Leadership among lots of other things. It’s important to remember that it’s never too late to make amends, and I’m so grateful he’s around for the relationship we have now.
Anyway, here’s what to give the man who raised you.
Father’s Day Gift Guide
- Fly Fishing Flies – Anglers can never have too many flies. This is what I am actually getting my dad for Father’s Day this year. He just gets so excited about them! I 100% don’t understand why he gets so excited about these flies, but he’s going fishing in the Colorado River next week so I know he needs to stock up. He always loses them, but you should see his face when he catches those fish.
- Bird Dog Bay Cap – My dad claims Bird Dog Bay makes the perfect baseball cap. It’s like they’re made for his head. I met the owner at the Nutcracker Market in Houston a few years ago, and he’s super cool! The original bestselling hat designs are embroidered with drawings he made of his dog Gus, and lately they’ve expanded to include other animals like this trout. My dad loves fishing for trout.
- Bonobos Riviera Short Sleeve Shirt – Love the flair in the bright colors and prints of the latest Riveria short sleeve shirts from Bonobos. They’re perfect for cutting loose in this summer.
- Sonogram Keychain – This silver keychain engraved with an ultrasound heartbeat is the cutest gift for a new father (or mother).
- Engraved Pocket Knife – What dad doesn’t need an engraved knife? There’s no such thing as having too many knives.
- Shearling Slipper – Although shearling slippers may make more of an appearance in cooler months than during the summertime, they make a truly thoughtful gift any time of the year. My dad loves them so much that he wears his shearling slippers every day around the home.
- Dad’s Peanut Butter Spoon – Hmm… I can’t tell if this spoon was invented by a woman trying to keep her husband’s fingers out of the peanut butter jar or not, but it’s genius. We all know someone who eats straight from the jar. Maybe it’s good to accept that. You can also order cool custom Dad’s Day spoons from Jessica N Designs, who I met at a blogger conference. She is so nice!
- Borsalino Panama Hat – Some guys lose their hair and need a little protection from the sun. Some guys don’t, and still need a little protection from the sun. These are my dad’s favorite hats to wear when he’s not fishing.