New York is a massively big city that you can find anything and everything to do it. What to decide on? My strategy when visiting a place is to pick one or two things that I really want to do, and then flow with whatever else comes my way. Here’s a list of a few fun things to do in the city the next time you’re there!
- Visit the Museum of Modern Art. Or any museum in New York for that matter. There are so many good ones! My favorite is the MoMA, followed by the MET, the Guggenheim, and Chelsea in general.
- Walk the Highline. Deena brought me on this cool new bridge in the city. An old elevated train line has been renovated with plants and fountains and converted into a walkway for pedestrians. It’s quite the scenic walk, if totally crowded. I forgot to take pictures, but they mostly would have been of the back of a bunch of heads, so it’s whatever.
I did catch this mysterious mural. We ended up by Chelsea Market, where you can find interesting jewelry by independent designers, and the Google headquarters.
- Take a flying trapeze class off Chelsea Pier. Take your first swing, fly, backflip and drop with an amazing view of Manhattan and the river. This is the one thing I regret not doing while visiting the city. The classes were full, so if this is something that interests you, register early.
- Window shopping in Manhattan. Have a Breakfast at Tiffany’s moment in front of Tiffany’s. It’s as close to Audrey Hepburn as I’ll ever get! You don’t have to be affluent to enjoy the atmosphere. Besides, let’s be real, if I had ample resources I would invest in real estate or education. Maybe purses 😉 (Really, they’re a great investment).
- Catch a movie in Bryant Park. Deena and I spent an evening in the cool summer air with friends curled up on a blanket in the park watching a vintage Frank Sinatra film. Pro tip: if you’re from a warm place like I am, bring a sweater or light jacket for a summer evening in one of the northern states.
- Visit Times Square. I know it’s cheesey, but Times Square is a fun touristy destination to see at least once. While you’re there, catch a Broadway show.
- Chow down in Carb City.One thing New York is known for is it’s food. Try to find a balance between easy street carbs and “real” food like vegetables, but definitely don’t leave the city without trying a New York hot dog.
- Escape to Brooklyn. Manhattan is a hot mess. Hop across the river and enjoy a day in Dumbo filled with flea market finds before walking the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset. Or you can stand on the arms of the Williamsburg Bridge with your true dreams.
In such a big city, you’ll find plenty of other fun adventures to pass the time on. I almost forgot to mention to visit the Plaza! It’s one of the most beautiful buildings inside and out. Do you have any favorite Manhattan adventures?